PHI granted patent on synthetic antibodies in the EU

Phase Holographic Imaging (PHI) announces that the Company has been granted a patent on synthetic antibodies from the European Patent Office. The patent application “EP329447 Molecularly Imprinted Polymers” was submitted by PHI together with Germany’s Federal Institute for Materials Research (BAM). PHI’s corresponding patents in the US and Japan were granted in 2020 and 2022, respectively.

Artistic image of molecularly imprinted polymers (MIP).

In spring 2023, PHI established the subsidiary PHI MIPS AB to house the synthetic antibody patent family. This subsidiary streamlines communication and provides transparency regarding the synthetic antibody patents, setting it apart from PHI AB’s core business.

Patrik Eschricht, PHI CEO, states:

We’re pleased to have secured the synthetic antibodies patent in the US, Japan, and now the EU. In the future, our PHI MIPS AB subsidiary will enable us to explore the business possibilities of either licensing or selling the patent rights.

Synthetic antibodies

The granted patents protect technology for creating synthetic plastic antibodies that can be tailored to recognize and bind to specific molecules with high precision, such as identifying cancer cells in blood or tissue samples.

The synthetic antibodies are developed within the joint GlycoImaging project where PHI participated with Malmö University and four other research institutes. PHI holds the commercial rights to the innovation, owning 75 % of the patents, while Germany’s Federal Institute for Materials Research (BAM) owns the remaining 25 %.

Subscribe to PHI news on